I was never a cube steak fan. Didn’t buy it very often, but sometimes it was just so darn inexpensive I’d feel I had to give it another try. Luckily, I stumbled upon a recipe for crock pot cube steaks (http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-melt-in-your-mouth-cube-steak-and-gravy-214223). Served it with mashed potatoes and roasted asparagus – delish! I’ve adapted it for the cooktop here:
Tender Braised Cube Steaks
- about 1½ lbs cube steak
- salt and pepper to taste
- McCormick’s Grill Mates Hamburger seasoning to taste
- 1 jar beef gravy (I use Heinz fat-free)
- 1 onion, sliced thickly
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
1. Cut cube steaks into serving-size pieces
2. Sear both sides quickly over high heat to brown (just a moment or so per side)
3. Remove pan from heat, and season both sides of the meat with the salt, pepper & seasoning.
4. Pull onion slices apart into rings and strew over meat.
5. Sprinkle garlic slices over meat.
6. Pour gravy over meat.
7. Cover and simmer over low heat for two hours.
8. Serve with mashed potatoes.